Friday, February 5, 2010

An Ode to my New Best Friend


I love to read.  
And I love to learn. 
And I love to read to learn. 

I love to be a mom. 
And I love to learn to be a better mom. 
And I love to read to learn to be a better mom.

I love my kiddos. 
And I love to teach my kiddos. 
And I love to read to teach wonderful things to my kiddos.

And I love it when my kiddos love to read....and learn.
And....you get the idea.

I want you to meet my new favorite book. 




There are so many wonderful things my little family is gaining from this book that I cannot even begin to list them all.  Well okay, here are just a few:
  • Having our bedtime reading teach wonderful time honored principles to my kids.
  • And having that be FUN for all of us!
  • Having a common vocabulary that encourages respect and understanding
  • Seeing my kids step up and take initiative with things I've been hammering for years (okay maybe not that many years).
  • Realizing that even my youngest kids are capable of understanding and living principles that I was "waiting" to teach until they were older.

And the 7 Happy Habits are:
  • Be Proactive
  • Begin with the end in Mind
  • Put First things First
  • Think Win-Win (Parents get to win too...who knew?)
  • Seek First to Understand, then to be Understood
  • Synergize (Teamwork)
  • Sharpen the Saw (Balance)

The irony of the situation is that through the process of trying to teach my children, I have realized that my personal habits were not bringing happiness, or effectiveness for that matter.  So I am loving to read to learn to teach to improve and to be a HAPPY family!

No comments: